Living By Our Own High StandardsRebecca Miller
September 27, 2019
At GOEX, it’s important for us to not only maintain our high standards, but to also live by them.
Our Executive Director, Jessica Ray, decided to make a big change while she was promoting GOEX at the annual Fair Trade Federation conference earlier this year. As she went through speakers and workshops at the conference, she realized that half of what she was wearing was not Fair Trade or ethically made. She also realized that she regularly purchased garments she didn’t need just because she gets caught up in fast fashion availability.
After the conference, she made a commitment to only purchase fair trade or ethically made garments for herself for the rest of the year. She’s caught herself a few times with something in her cart at Target that she’s had to put back – amazing how mindlessly we shop, right?
She’s made it over six months and has some incredible brands she’s found and supported. Read on for some of her favorite suggestions:
- The Root Collective – This company sells cute leather shoes handmade by artisans in Guatemala.
- Athleta – Did you know Athleta is now a B-Corp and offers many styles manufactured in Fair Trade Certified factories? Yet another reason to love this brand!
- Target – Yes, Target! Not every item, but the store is making strides toward social conscious manufacturing and recently introduced a line of certified Fair Trade denim.
- Elegantees – This line of tops and dresses is ethically made by women in Nepal.
- Sika’a – In case you didn’t hear, we had a pretty big event in August that required attendees to dress to the nines. It was a little more challenging to find a cocktail dress, especially since I wanted something different. Luckily I found this cool British company that makes incredible garments!
- Second hand and consignment – Shopping second hand is always an ethical choice! I buy almost all of my kids’ clothes second hand and items for myself and my husband as well.
- GOEX (of course!) – I wear a tee almost every day! Layer it under a blazer with a statement necklace or wear it with a skirt to dress it up or tuck it into slacks with a great belt. There are so many ways to make our favorite Fair Trade tee look professional and polished – choose the ladies v-neck in black or white for simplicity. Or check out our new ladies flowy tee for a more unique twist on the classic tee.
One caution as you shop: just because a company has a socially conscious mission, doesn’t necessarily make it ethically made. Ask questions and make sure a give back isn’t overshadowing a product that doesn’t care for the hands that make it. In order to truly be ethically made, the item has to care for people throughout the supply chain.
Now it’s your turn! Choose ethically made and go find the brands that fit your style. Here’s a blog dedicated to fair trade and ethically made products with a great resource list!
Follow the story.
We strive to be bold with our words and represent the ideals we believe. If you like what we stand for, we want to share more! Stay in the loop by signing up to receive our newsletters, following us on Instagram or liking our Facebook page.